Wednesday, May 7, 2008

O's Lose Four Straight, Drop Under .500

The O's lost their fourth straight game, and dropped below .500 for the first time this season since Opening Day, when they were 0-1.

It was another close game, as the O's lost 4-2 to the A's last night.

I'll have to be honest with you; this was the first game this season I did not watch. Believe me, I wanted to...I was on campus for eight hours trying to finish my semester-long projects. My girlfriend texted me throughout the game, and the texts were not what I wanted to hear, considering what I was doing at the time. Nothing would have made life better than knowing the O's were trouncing the A's while I was trying to get a few 'A's.'



I left campus and got in my car just in time to hear the post-game chatter. It sounded like Burres pitched well enough to win, and that the bullpen once again kept the game close, so the offense could win it with just one swing of the bat.

Unfortunately, the O's don't have anyone right now that can swing and win. After four straight losses, the O's are now in 4th place, and the stats are pretty ugly. The Birds have lost eight of the last ten, and not including the suspended game against Chicago, are averaging just under three runs per game.

The starters, for the most part, have kept the team in the game, and the bullpen, which again sparkled, has done an incredible job.

You can't win if you don't score. Look, I'm not bashing my Birds. They're on an unforgiving road-trip against some of the best teams in baseball right now. They haven't had a day off in weeks. They're losing by a run or two; they certainly aren't getting beat badly.

All I'm saying is that the O's need to score a few more runs per game. If not, the cellar seems imminent....the O's are alone in 4th, only 1/2 game in front of Toronto...stay tuned!

(photos courtesy of MLB.com)

No comments: