Sunday, May 18, 2008

Burres, Bullpen and Bats Beat Nats

The O's won their fourth straight game last night, defeating the Nationals 6-5.

This time, the O's were actually up early before the bullpen let the game get close, but they were able to hang on for the win. The Birds are now 23-19 and just a game-and-a-half out of first.

I was at a wedding, and relied on text messages to keep me updated on the game. Much thanks to the O's fans that kept me in the loop...

Here's what I know...Brian Burres (4-4) pitched well and got the win. He went 6 and 1/3 innings, allowing two runs off four hits, while walking two and striking out three.

The O's bullpen was hit hard. Chad Bradford, Dennis Sarfate and Jim Johnson combined to pitch just an inning and a third, yet allowed three runs off three hits, two walks and a hit batter (Johnson hit the batter with the bases loaded to force in a run; he struck out the next batter to end the threat). George Sherrill pitched the ninth and earned his 17th save.

The O's bats were hot early, as they scored all of their runs in the first five innings. Nick Markakis had three RBIs (two from a 2-run shot in the 3rd) and Jay Payton hit a 2-run shot of his own in the fifth to seal the win for the O's.

I'll be logging the final game of the series later this afternoon at Channel 2. This will complete my internship; unless I get hired, I'm finished at WMAR-ABC. I had a great time there, and hope to stay on full time.

The O's will send Jeremy Guthrie to the mound to try and complete the sweep. The Birds have Monday off before a six game road trip against the Yankees and Rays.

No comments: